Friday 21 March 2008

Ozarks, what have you done?

A long while ago I was into the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Time passed and I started listening to other music but I still kept the records until last week when I hired a skip and cleared out the garage and the last 32 years of my working life as I prepare for life outside NU. Out went the last remnants of the record collection, including the Ozarks because I thought that it would be easy enough to download the key tracks as I've already done with Russ Ballard etc. But this morning I downloaded "It'll shine when it shines" from the greates hits collection on iTunes and it's not the original version. It's been re-recorded with all the worst aspects of formula country music and it is truly sad. The whole point of that track is summarised in the line "You might think I'm wasting time but I'm just a good old boy that's learned to wait" and it needs an understated, laconic delivery so why the whining harmonica and fairground guitar?

Luckily the original albums have been released on CD so now I have to find them.

No comments: