Saturday 17 March 2012

Top 10 feel good movies - 7 Then She Found Me

2007

Helen Hunt has her life all sorted out and then in quick succession her Mother dies, her husband leaves her and her unknown birth mother turns up.  This is the first interpretation of the title but I prefer to look at it from Colin Firth's perspective as he comes into her life as a single father.  Hunt's journey is two steps forward and one step back but the chemistry between her and Firth is special, Bette Midler is great as her Mother and Matthew Broderick is fist clenchingly convincing as her pathetic but honest husband.

Favourite bit:
Hunt: Your wife was seeing somebody else?
Firth:  Pretty much everybody else. I was too much for her.
Hunt:  For you wife?  I'm sure she didn't feel that way.
Firth:  She told me.
Hunt:  What did she say?
Firth:  You're too much for me.

Mike's view:
A wonderful film that has been sadly overlooked.  Didn't get past the Kermode test and I understand his view that it is not tight and crisp but that is partly why I love it.

No comments: